Friday, April 5, 2013

The Elemental Swirl - Challenge #2

I would really like to thank Amy Warden of  Great Cakes Soapworks for being generous enough with her time to create these challenges once again this year.  It is fun to try new techniques I may not otherwise have tried.

This week is the Elemental Swirl.  What's interesting about this one is that you are combining two techniques, both of which I've done in the past.  I also learned that I need to let my soap set up a bit more before doing the ITP (in the pot) swirl in order to avoid 'mud'.  All righty then - now comes some decisions.

First I needed to decide what elements I wanted represented in this soap.  So very many options.  Finally I decided to make this personal and a friend directed me to a quiz which determines your Element and I came up as Air, so that would be my top layer.  So what should my second be?  Since I am a Sagittarius which is a Fire sign that became my second element.  Next was trying to decide what scent was going to represent both elements.  Hmmm well there was a dilemma.  I needed something that was going to behave to allow me time to work and spices are not known to play nice.  Okay so the spices were ruled out, or were they?  What if I added them to the other scents I wanted, maybe it would behave then?  Air was easier for me as I always think of air as fresh, bright and carrying the scent of flowers on its breeze.  Here is what I came up with:
  • Lavender
  • Rosemary
  • Spearmint
  • Black Pepper (for heat)
  • Menthol (cold heat) - just a titch of this one
  • Lilac fragrant oil
I am now ready to go.  For the fire portion I chose Bordeaux & Romantic Rose micas with FD&C Red #40.  Air received Dark Blue (morphed to a greeny tone) & Cornflower Blue micas plus Ultramarine Blue.  I used cocoa powder for the dark line, but I didn't use quite enough...

Now for the reveal......

In the log is the wet soap.

Another in the log shot.
Here you can see what it looks like prior to cutting showing the two layers - kinda.

All cut and ready to go onto the curing rack....








Amy this was a lot of fun and I look forward to our next challenge.  Thank you so much for letting me be a part of this.  For those of you that missed the link above to go to Amy's Blog please, click HERE.

For those of you who would like to purchase one of these bars they will be ready at the end of the month.

44 comments:

  1. Very pretty ITP swirls in both layers. I especially like the blue top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kirppu, I have to admit I am happiest with the blue portion as well.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Helen, thank you so very, very much! I really enjoyed this challenge.

      Delete
  3. I love your scent blend! The cocoa powder line has just enough definition without taking away focus from the layers ~ I think it is 'juuuuust right' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanya thank you so much! I really love this one and I can see me repeating it for my product line.

      Delete
  4. Ah Natalia thank you so very much :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Hi Tina,

      Thank you for your very kind words....

      Delete
  6. Beautiful color and swirl! Did you swirl the pot colors two or three times? It is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam,

      I used 3 colours for each level plus the white. I put each colour in 3 spots within the pot and then only did a light stir to try and keep the colours separate. I had more luck with the blues and I think that was because of the thickness of trace. It was a little light for the reds.

      Next time I think I will only do 2 spots per colour in order to gain more separation of colour.

      Thank you so very much for your compliment.

      Cheers

      Delete
    2. Absolutely stunning. The swirls are so defined and the colour combo is perfect. Wish I could smell this. Epic WIN!

      Delete
    3. Thank you soooo much *big smile*

      Delete
  7. Love your soap! Beautiful swirls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mommysoaper!

      Thank you so very much,

      Cheers
      Lindy

      Delete
  8. Now that is some gorgeous soap!! Your colors are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy thank you! Your instructions on how to get the best out of your ITP was absolutely perfect. I've been doing that technique for years but your tip about trace allowed me to really improve the look of them. I so appreciate your tips and these challenges. No matter how many years someone has been making soap there is also room for improvement and tweeking.

      Delete
  9. I love the colours, they are all very distinct. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your kind comment..... *S*

      Delete
  10. Lindalu, your soap is absolutely gorgeous! very nice

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful, love your soap :) Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I really appreciate your kind words. *smile*

      Delete
  12. These came out so pretty. The colors are so bright and distinct. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa I really, really enjoyed playing with the colours as well as changing a couple things for doing the ITP swirl. Amy's tip was spot on!

      Delete
  13. Great soap Lindalu! beautiful colours and swirls and the fragrance sounds lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much... I love blending fragrance to see what I can come up with.

      Delete
  14. Your swirls are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, thank you. Amy helped me get them more precise and I am so grateful....

      Delete
  15. The top colors really stand out. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer,

      You're absolutely right... the bottom I didn't take to quite as thick a trace and it shows. The blues I took thicker and I am much happier with them. Thank you so much for noticing.

      Delete
  16. So dramatic and stunning, I just LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Replies
    1. Hi Cris, Thank you so much, I must admit it's my favourite too.

      Delete
  18. Really great swirls and colors! I know you didn't plan for it, but I like the green tone with the blues.

    ReplyDelete